Wednesday, May 12, 2010

WWOOFing in the South of France

For the past 4 days I have been working on my first farm abroad. The farm is located near Cazeres which is near Toulouse in the Pyrenees mountains in the south of France. The farm is about 7 acres and run by a family. Stella and Granville are the parents to Cia (23) and Richie (19) and together the 4 of them do almost everything! They also have another son that is off working elsewhere. Cia and her boyfriend live in a different part of the house made into an apartment. They have a 6 month old daughter named TARA! The family has two dogs, Cashew and Paille (means straw in french and is pronounced like 'pie') They also have 9 friendly horses that roam the surrounding fields. The whole place is surrounded by trees and it is quite beautiful and serene.

So far I have done a lot of sowing and planting. I have sown several different types of lettuce and I have planted beans, beets, celery rave...I have also done some harvesting of beans, peas, spinach, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce and cilantro. They are very kind and like to give their wwoofers nicer jobs since we are volunteers. My second day on the farm was Sunday- market day. We got up at 6am, drove into town and unloaded 2 van fulls of veggies and fruits. After setting up for two hours, the market lasts most of the day, from 9 to 3. We were extremely busy the entire time. Since I can't really understand what people are asking for, or how to say high numbers in French, I helped by keeping the fruit and vegetable boxes stocked up. It was quite hectic.

The internet cafe is closing so I must go. I'll try and update soon if they take me to town again.

No comments:

Post a Comment