Saturday, May 8, 2010

France

After leaving Paris and all my new friends behind I journed west to Nantes. In Nantes I saw the local sights including Cathédrale St-Pierre-St-Paul (looks similar to Notre Dame from the outside), le Château des ducs de Bretagne and a massive mechanic elephant that can hold 40 people as it walks around giving tours of the city.
Unfortunately my plans to go to Bordeaux next were ruined by the fact that there was no room at the hostel available (there are school groups wherever I go and they are crowding up the hostels). Instead of Bordeaux I ended up in La Rochelle- an extremely qauint and lovely port town. I'm extremely pleased that I ended up in La Rochelle because it was gorgeous and I had a fabulous time. I spent a lovely day wandering around town enjoying the east side of the Atlantic. At my hostel I met a British girl, Lydia, and we hit the town in the evening. We went to a beef restaurant where she had dinner (I already ate and obviously would not eat there). Next we went to an Irish pub and I watched some French soccer with some very enthusiastic fans. At the end of the night we found ourselves at a private birthday party. We just walked into a bar that looked like fun and it turned out that everyone in the bar was there celebrating two birthdays. It was no problem that we were there and we had a fabulous time attempting to converse in broken French and broken English. The following night we met a girl from New Zealand and a British guy and we all enjoyed Crépes and wine at a restaurant on the port near our harbor.
After La Rochelle I went even further south to Biarritz. I arrived yesterday evening and have to leave by noon today. Unfortunately as today is a public holiday in France (just found that out) the buses are not running at normal times and I can no longer go into town. It's alright because the hostel is located next to a beautiful lake. I will probably spend the next two hours before my train leaves reading by the lake.
Today is a very exciting day because I start WWOOFing! That means for the next two weeks I will be living with a family working on their farm. I am extremely excited because I am quite tired of cities and moving around everyday. The family is a British family that lives in the south of France in the Pyrenees mountains (they live in the forest and they speak English!) Not sure what kind of farm work I will be doing exactly, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment