Saturday, June 19, 2010

Governmental drama

Since my last blog I have been to Luzern, Zurich, Milan and Venice.
Luzern was gorgeous despite it being extremely windy. I spent a lovely day by the lake in Zurich with a friend Carlee from Canada. Milan was my first stop in Italy and I was thankful to have lots of good, cheap food at my disposal after expensive Switzerland.
Venice was awesome in every way. I met a bunch of amazing people and enjoyed several days of wandering the canals (aka getting lost) and constantly being impressed by the scenery.

In Venice I also discovered that my entire trip is going to have to change dramatically due to stupid governmental travel restrictions that I was unaware of until two days ago.

Here goes:
Schengen = most of the European Union not including UK, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus

Apparently I am only allowed to be in the Shengan region of Europe for a maximum of 90 days within 180 days. That means once I have been in Shengan turf for 3 months I have to leave for 3 months before I can come back again.

On July 27th I will reach 90 days. Which would mean I am not allowed back until October 27th.

As this would completely screw up all of my plans for meeting up with Alli, Maya, Katie and Lauren... I am going to leave the Schengen region soon. Therefore I will have 25 days to spend in the Schengen region before October 27th.

I am hoping that I can leave long enough to be able to come back and meet up with each of my friends without breaking the law.

If anyone knows anything about this law or anything I can do to get around it... please let me know!

Since I will be exiled from Europe for awhile I will now be traveling to Croatia, Turkey, Israel and who knows where else. Kind of a blessing in disguise because I would love to visit all these places and they were not on my original itinerary... but it also means I will have to cancel several flights and will get to spend less time in Italy, Spain, Germany and several other countries.

Other than the stress of all this ridiculous crap I had no idea about until 2 days ago... things are going well. I'm working on a vineyard in Florence and it's lovely.

Just trying to stay optimistic and make the most out of the time I have despite the obvious downsides.
More to come soon!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment