Wednesday, September 8, 2010

England (is always cold)


Rosie and Emelie and I on Rosie's birthday

After Italy I went back to England to see a few friends. I spent a week in Manchester to celebrate my friend Rosie’s birthday. Our friend Emelie from Sweeden also came to Manchester and the three of us had a jolly old time. We spent our days lying around in the backyard, going into the city centre and shopping at Primark- a very very cheap and fashionable department store. I also took a trip to the town of Kearsley, 20 minutes away from Manchester. The town was established by my ancestors long ago before they came over to America on the Mayflower. Kearsley is a suburb and mostly residential, but it was cool to see some family history.

After Manchester I went farther north to Newcastle and stayed with my friend Ryan from Santa Cruz. Ryan is a med student and therefore living a completely different lifestyle than I am (which was a good reminder that someday I will have to go back to work). We had a good time hanging out and watching weird British television. He lives in the city centre right near the river so when the odd chance arose that it wasn't raining or freezing, I took walks and went shopping.

Eventually I left Ryan to his important studies and went south to Nottingham. I wanted to go to a National Park but my timing was poor and I couldn’t find any available accommodation (it was a bank holiday weekend- everyone gets Monday off). So I ended up in Nottingham at Midtown Hostel. BIG MISTAKE .

The following account is not for the feint at heart, so do not read on if you have a weak stomach. When I first arrived at the hostel I was shown to a bed in what was more or less a hallway. I immediately asked to change beds. The guy at reception was incredibly rude and it took him 10 minutes to explain that I had booked the cheapest bed and that was that specific bed. I ended up staying in the bed but cancelled my 3rd night at the hostel because I was so put off by the rude staff. In the middle of the night I woke up itching like crazy. I did not know what could be the problem and eventually fell back to sleep. In the morning I awoke with bites all over my face, neck, hands and feet. Bed bug bites. As with every other insect bite, I began to swell. And swell and swell. I ran straight to the tourist agency and booked a room at a bed and breakfast. I was extremely distraught and embarrassed of my swollen face so all I wanted to do was get out of the hostel and the city centre, fast. On my way out I complained to the hostel reception (same rude guy)- but through my tears I don’t think the message was quite clear.

For the next 24 hours I did not leave my room at the bed and breakfast. I had purchased some bread rolls, tomatoes and Clementines which I sustained myself on for the next 2 days. After one full day in bed the swelling was so bad that my eye was swollen shut and I could not move my fingers (yes I was taking benadryl religously). I began to panic but did not want to go to the hospital and just hoped that things would get better. It was scary. Eventually I was able to open my eye. It took 8 days for my face to look more or less normal. I still had red bites all over, but at least my eyes were the same size.

This experience was awful. By far the worst thing I've experienced so far this trip. There’s nothing worse than being alone, sick, hungry and scared for your life. I was very glad to get out of Nottingham and cold, rainy, infested England.

I spent two days with my friend Masha in London (we met a month earlier in Italy). It was such a relief to be in a clean place with a friend. We went for nice walks on the Heath (huge park in London). We had lots of tea and wonderful veggie fabulous meals. It was a very nice change from my previous few days and I am so thankful that I had a safe haven after such a disaster.

Now I’m in Greece and having a splendid time with my friends from Santa Monica- Katie and Lauren. I’m warm, tan, healthy, and have two eyes the same size. Life is good.



http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2969202017/a=138185395_138185395/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

No comments:

Post a Comment